Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So this morning....

Jake opens my door and says a cheery, "good morning mom"....I respond with the same. Then he says, "don't go in the kitchen today, all right?". Hmmm...that means that I must NEED to go to the kitchen. I stand up and Jake quickly blocks the door with his body and outstretched arms. "MOM" he says quite emphatically, "do NOT go downstairs, just stay in bed". I sigh my "mom" sigh and say, "why Jake?". He very matter of fact replies, "cuz there is rice all over the kitchen floor and you don't feel like cleaning it up today." LOL

I go downstairs, against his will and find that he has dumped a whole container of fried rice onto a plate, but most of it has spilled onto the floor. As I stand there and take in this mini disaster I notice that the microwave says "40:32" on it and I realize that is what is left of someones cooking time. I open the microwave to discover more rice and I say, "Jake, did you try to use the microwave today?" to which he gives me a cheery, "YUP".
Let me paint this picture for you....
Sticky fried rice from one end of the kitchen floor to the other because he spread it all around in his 5 year old attempt to clean it up. An ENTIRE roll of paper towels has been spread from the microwave to the garbage can without tearing a single sheet and the end of this roll is tucked neatly into the garbage can. He tried to cover the whole floor with paper towels to hide the rice. I clean up all the towels and then I get the broom and sweep the rice into a pile. Then I tell Jake to get the dustpan and the small hand broom and sweep this all into the garbage. As he is cheerfully sweeping up the neat pile of rice he looks at me and says, "this is easier than paper towels mom, you are smart". WHATEVER!!
That is how I started my day today. Cleaning up miles and miles of sticky fried rice and slightly used paper towels. Then I had a very long discussion with Jacob on why he can't use the microwave...AGAIN!

4 comments:

Allison said...

LOL!!! oh man, I hope you took at least one picture of that madness. Sounds like a great way to start your morning :) Aren't we so glad we raised our kids to be independent? :P

Allison said...

by the way I like the new Fall themed layout

Michelle said...

I thought about taking a picture, but I was to lazy to run upstairs and get the camera. LOL
That header is a picture that I took myself, btw. It took me like an hour to figure out how to stick it up there though. I'm so lame!

Babs Haake said...

Well, this story almost compares to the Desitin story from Calebs childhood. Not quite as good as that one though. It was such a "picture" in my mind when you described that one. LOL