I am just in the first lesson, but I felt discouraged today because it's so different and "disjointed" in comparison to the Daniel study that I did last year. I flipped to the front of the book and saw that the copy right date is 1998...Daniel study is 2007. Let me just point out this one thing...she has gotten a LOT better. LOL
Anyhow, there is still some pretty good stuff in here if you take the time to slow down and reread certain parts. She shoved so much in these chapters and has you looking up 3 or 4 verses for each point. Now she zones in and goes much deeper into ONE verse. I guess that is more my style, I like to pick one area apart and turn it over 100 times and get every bit out of it instead of skimming 4 verses to gather their common theme. BTW, she just finished a study on Esther....I LOVE THAT BOOK of the bible. It will be interesting to see what she gleaned from it.
Okay, I need to focus, now who's flitting about?
I had to answer a question at the end of this chapter and my own answer suprised me. We read through Galatians 2:20, " I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." I read through her 10 very in depth points on the characteristics of a crucified life.
1. Few will understand.
2. you must abandon your own will and your own agenda.
3. Your intimate spiritual companions will be few.
4. Intense times of aloneness with God are required.
5. You will be constantly on the witness stand.
6. You must go "outside the camp".
7. There will be times when your dignity is forfeited.
8. you must fore go your rights.
9. You must accept that death is painful.
10. Because He was forsaken, you never will be.
Which of these characteristics of a crucified life spoke most personally to you? - the question
I am tired and it's late and I instantly wrote something without giving it a ton of thought. I wrote that "Death is painful" was the one that stood out. Then I had to sit up and stare at my painting of "starry night"...it brings me focus . Why did I write that so quickly? What made that stand out to me? I turned back to my book and wrote..." The "death" of things that I desire so strongly is surprisingly excruciating". Sometimes I beg and pray for God to take that "pain" or to change the outcome, but it never seems to happen quickly. Lots and lots of sleepless nights are a result as I wade through it...lots of pain. How silly am I? Death IS painful....and if I am killing off something in me that is not God's will, then it will hurt. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....thank you 10 years ago Beth Moore for bringing your chaotic book into my brain today. LOL
Interesting to me anyhow. Now I guess I will go stare at Stary Night some more....the chaos of the sky is beautiful, but the tiny church standing boldly in the center of that painting....ahhhhhh that's the beauty. That's our "island" in the storm, you know? The over powering mountain (evil), the chaos and madness of the sky ( life)...the little church is the center of the painting...the center of "life". Can we stand firm in the midst of evil and chaos? Can we be like that island of stability in this painting? You can if you aren't afraid of the pain of "death"...being crucified with Christ and giving up that stuff that He doesn't want from us or for us. It's not an easy road, for sure...but it's my road, it's my choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment