Monday, July 27, 2009

So what now?

Our society has this constant urge to keep each other moving. When you have a baby people can not help but ask you, " so are you having another one soon?". With my fourth child going off to school this year I have been the target of an endless barrage of , "what are you going to do with yourself now that Jake is in school?".
Have I suddenly become useless to society because my child is in school? Have I given up my rights to raise him because he is in school? Silly people!! Silly society!!
Guess what? I choose to stay involved in HIS life just like I have in all of his siblings lives. I don't plan on abandoning his child hood for the sake of my own life. I don't need to go to work or start thinking of myself and what I want to do because I now have free time.

I have learned from raising 3 other kids that I have no free time. I loved being there for Alex to chat about the weird boys at school or being the mom who was willing to french braid 5 cheerleaders hair before a game. I was always available to my boys when they needed me to drop everything and drive half the team to a soccer game. They were never late for practice or missed a game because their mom was "busy" and they couldn't find a ride. I have attended nearly every single gymnastics meet, band concert, baseball game, soccer game, track meet, school play, Open house, basketball game, prep bowl, challenge 24, science fair and spelling bee that has lighted across my path. I have been there...at home...when someones heart was broken by their 'true love" or their staggering disappointment because they were cut from the team. I have whisked them away to a "just you and me" lunch or dinner to commiserate or celebrate the event in their lives. I've stolen them away from school in the middle of the day for a surprise trip to see a movie or go to the zoo because they had straight A's.

I AM THEIR MOM...I am their mom 24/7. I am still Alex's mom, even though she is 21 years old. I am still Jake's mom, even though he is now in Kindergarten. Last night around 11pm Alex, Caleb, Micah and I were playing Boggle on my bed and laughing hysterically over our collective ignorance in spelling words. Yeah, that's right...11pm on a Sunday night MY KIDS wanted me to play Boggle with them. Wonder why that is? Oh yeah, it's because I am their mom and not their care giver who raised them for 5 years and then let the school system handle the rest. :)
I have great kids. I have REALLY great kids. People comment to me on a weekly basis that my kids are so accomplished and wonderful. Guess what? It's because I committed to being their mom and let go of the worldly view that I need "my own life". I don't need it...my job is to turn out 4 new adults who will be cherished by their new families some day.
If you see me soon...and you realize Jake is in school now. Don't you dare ask me what I am going to do with all my free time!! There is no free time when you have 4 kids.

2 comments:

Allison said...

All I was gonna ask is if you cried on his first day.

Amen... you have raised (and are raising) some amazing children! But... you should still come out to Spain since you have so much free time now! ;) HAHAHHAA

Sorry I disappeared all of a sudden! We had a triple package for internet/phone/TV, but the TV wouldn't work so they took the modem back (it ran off the cable box apparently). I was right in th middle of uploading the house tour too :P Anyway... we've got our internet back now. I don't even know how long it's been. :P

Michelle said...

ohhh cool...a house tour!