We went on a walk on a nature trail the other day..just looking for bugs to catch. We stumbled upon a butterfly that was still coming out of it's cocoon! It was almost completely out and was still drying in the sun so it was very easy to catch. I put it inside of Jake's bug bucket and then we walked back to the van.
He showed that butterfly to everyone in the park who was willing to have a look into his bucket. He decided that it was a Peacock butterfly, based on one of the butterflies in the Animal Crossing game. I have no idea if it was or not, but I just went along with his assumption. LOL
He talked to it all the way home and studied every single dot on it's wings. When we got home he let it go and I took a video of that whole extravaganza. It's uploaded on YouTube, so refresh this page and have a look. Jake and the butterfly.
2 comments:
Looks like a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes). They were my study animal in insect comparative anatomy. It's amazing all the cool organs they have inside (I have drawings, if you're interested, since it was also a class on scientific illustration). Bugs are so much fun and so varied. I hope Jake has a good time checking them out!
We went to the Natural History Smithsonian and were thinking of you. LOL He didn't want to leave the "bug zoo" and the live walk through butterfly exhibit.
Post a Comment