Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ode to a washer...


Tilden and I are about to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. As I went downstairs to start some laundry this morning it dawned on me that my washer and dryer are also 22 years old!!
I felt it was fitting to write a sonnet for my washer and dryer. Celebrating 22 years of fine work in the Tatebe household.
Ohhhh fair washer with your unassuming off white color. Did you know that we paid extra for that tint on your housing? Yes, if we had chosen white we would have paid less. But YOU fine washer were worth that extra pigment.
You have worked tirelessly for our family.
You didn't fuss through all those potty training years.
Those days when I filled your drum with stinky damp tiny clothes.
You didn't flinch as I grumbled at tossing endless pairs of "accident" undies into a load. I complained...you did not.
You worked feverishly through soccer season.
Often running 5 times a day to clean those uniforms before the next game. Remember that year that we had 3 kids playing at the same time? I was lulled to sleep at night by the gentle hum of your motor as you spun the water out night after night...summer after summer.
In your old age you are still a champ. Washing whole loads of stuffed animals for Jake. You gently clean his stuffed friends and he thoroughly enjoys watching his pals churn up and down. A fancy front loader wouldn't have the same entertainment value that you do. Those new washers can't hold a candle to your longevity! They can't accept just "one more" stuffed animal after the load has started. You are so accepting, dear friend.
Wash On , oh yee Kenmore beauty. WASH ON!!

2 comments:

Allison said...

LOL! oh that was beautiful... hopefully you didn't just jinx yourself and this will remain an ode, not a eulogy... what you didn't think I knew what a eu-goo-gilly was?! ;)

Michelle said...

I am a good Eugoogalizer