Wednesday, August 13, 2008

super shy

I was so frustrated with Jake last night, but there isn't much I can do to change his behavior. He had his first soccer practice last night and he didn't know any of the kids or the coach. In classic Jacob style he simply "shut down". He went out on the field with the kids, but he was like a statue. He stood there and held onto his soccer ball and never flinched. His coach would ask him questions and Jake just stared at him wide eyed and lips glued shut. All the kids sat down to stretch and he stood there...they ran a lap around the field and he stood there....they kicked the ball back and forth to each other and he stood there. They took a water break and he walked back over to me. I said, "what is wrong with you?" and he simply shrugged his shoulders and fought back tears. Then I said, "get back out there and I want to see you run and show the coach how good you are". He walked back out to the field, but took extremely tiny baby steps and to0k 5 minutes to get back on the field. They did a mini scrimmage at the end and I was surprised to see that he actually ran back and forth on the field with the rest of the kids, but he never tried to kick the ball. About half way through their scrimmage he went up to his coach and BURST into tears and said, "I can't breathe". He came back to me and sat down and cried. I told him that he couldn't breathe because he never opened his mouth to get some air. He refused to go back into the game. I whispered into his ear, "if you go on the field and kick the ball just ONE time, I will take you to Wal-Mart and buy you any car you want". He baby stepped to the line , but never went on the field. When we got into the van he said, "can we go to Wal-Mart now?" and I was like "you never even went on the field!! NO we can't go to Wal-Mart." So we get home and he is all chipper and bouncy and I was NOT thrilled with him. We got out of the car and went into the back yard where I made him do all the drills that he wouldn't do at practice. I made him run back and forth in the yard and kick the ball to me. Then I asked him why he didn't do what the coach told him to do and he said, "I don't like him". HOW in the world can you not like him when you never saw him before in your life? I sent him to his room while I made dinner and told him that he could come back down when he was going to listen to his coach. He stayed up there for 20 minutes and finally wandered into the kitchen and said, "don't tell dad about my practice, okay?". LOL

I went to bed last night and I felt HORRIBLE for punishing him. He is just sooooooo shy in new situation that he can't function. I have run out of ideas on how to deal with him in those situations because he is completely unreachable when he shuts down. I don't want to play into his fears and allow him to quit or not participate. I guess that I will find out on Saturday (his next practice) if this "mean" technique worked. I've already tried bribery and super niceness - - those didn't work at all.
The sad thing is that he couldn't wait to play soccer. He was so excited about practice and being on a team. I am sure that his coach thought we were forcing him to play against his will. Poor Jake :(

3 comments:

Allison said...

That's so frustrating! I think the meanness technique works more often than not on boys (though other parents might think it's cruel). Hopefully he will come out of his shell. You could try sugar! hahaha ;)

Nerdular said...

awww... poor guy! He's just like his aunt Vita was! I eventually "grew out of it", but I'm still pretty quiet in new situations. I like to call it "cautious". ;)

Michelle said...

He is really bubbly and crazy when he is with people that he knows. That's why it's so frustrating to see him act that way. He's not normally withdrawn. He is a "wild and crazy guy"!